Z.J. Loussac Library Facility Master Plan
and Entry Design
Facility Master Plan - Released March 18, 2013
A year in the making, the Loussac Master Plan is a result of detailed planning by architects, designers, technology and library experts, and thoughtful and creative input from thousands of community members. The Plan sets a path to transform the Loussac into a dynamic and interactive hub for community engagement.
Video Overview of the Plan (3 min)
Volume 1: Research, Analysis + Engagement
Existing Conditions Diagrams
Vision + Guiding Design Principles
Volume 3: Facility Master Plan Recommendations
Volume 1 Appendix
Volume 2 Appendix
- Opportunities to learn, share, teach and collaborate, using advanced technology and traditional methods.
- More spaces for community gathering, meeting facilitation and group learning.
- An attractive, easy to navigate building, with increased natural light for a safe and welcoming experience for users of all ages and backgrounds.
- A building that is more efficient to operate.
Next Steps - Update, May 10, 2013
We recently learned from the Mayor’s office that the Loussac Library renovation was not among the projects funded in the Project 80s package in the state capital budget.
We are deeply disappointed that we will not be able to move forward on the entryway project this year, as originally planned. The renovations are desperately needed and widely supported, with many citizens reporting their safety concerns of entering the library. In addition to safety issues, the Library’s heating and cooling system is worn out and costly to maintain. With over 1,000 visits a day over the past twenty seven years, the Loussac has literally been loved to death.
We are committed to moving this project forward and will work harder than ever before to keep the momentum going. We are currently exploring our options for next steps for future state support, a municipal bond, and a private capital campaign. We will report back soon to let you know how you can help.
Thanks for your incredible support and dedication to our Anchorage Public Library. We know that with you on our side, anything is possible!
Share your Thoughts and Spread the Word!
The success of the project depends on a high level of community involvement. Help us spread the word to your friends and neighbors! Here's how:
- Click here to post a comment or submit a photo on our online discussion board.
- Click here for a summary of our community engagement.
- Click here to see who's on our Community Task Force.